Full Asbestos Abatement and Demolition of 72 Military Barracks
Camp Parks, designated Parks Reserve Forces Training Area in 1980, is named after Rear Admiral Charles W. Parks, CEC, USN. It was built a Navy Base during World War II, and was commissioned Jan. 19, 1943 — home to the Navy Seabees. Adjacent Camp Parks to the east, laid Camp Shoemaker and the U.S. Naval Hospital Shoemaker, also built during the war. The three Navy bases laying side by side were called “Fleet City.” In 1946, at the end of World War II, the Secretary of the Navy disestablished the three facilities, and from 1946 to 1951, the Navy leased the land to the County of Alameda for use as a rehabilitation center. In 1947 the Santa Rita County Jail became operational.
This land-locked naval base sat adjacent to the quiet Bay Area towns of Dublin, Livermore and Pleasanton. Today, the intersection of Interstate Highways 580 and 680 is but a short distance from the southwest corner of the base. Much of the surrounding countryside is built up. Army units use some 2,300 acres north of the main camp for field exercises and weapons training. Camp Parks is located 28 miles east of Oakland, California.